Friday, July 27, 2012

Ghosts and Gumboots

It just struck me, now that yet another Birthday has come and gone, that this blog is now over a year old!

This summer started with another epic battle between me and the Giant Hogweed.  I am holding my own but in no way winning.

Early July produced another resident Doe with twin fawns.

For my Birthday, my folks came over to the Farm for a couple of days.  My Pa plopped down his bag, grabbed the keys for the shed off rack and went straight out the door towards the lawn tractor.
I don't think we saw him for several hours.

I think this is truly the secret to a happy man....full stomach, a beer and a ride-on-mower.

My Mom is the quintessential Garden Girl, we walked all over the property looking at,


the beautifully stacked wood, that the Boyfriend spent days working on.
In February we had about 9 huge trees taken down, some to provide more light and others because they were leaning or unhealthy.  There were trees and branches everywhere and it seemed like we would never even make a dent in it all.  I started dragging large branches out to my witchy burn pile in the center of the property while the Boyfriend stacked and stacked and stacked.....


I think right now we are up to 8 piles and counting.

During our little tour of the Grounds Mom and I marveled at some giant mushrooms, plush blankets of bright green moss, birds, and then we came across something unusual.


These weird little clusters of glassy mushroomy things that neither of us had ever seen before, translucent and pale white, so fragile that they break if you look at them the wrong way.

Later I looked them up, they are called Ghost Plants aka. Indian Pipes.  They only grow in very particular conditions...rotting deciduous trees, under evergreen trees in mossy shaded areas. They have no chlorophyll and that is why the are white, and parasitic.  Very rare! We were both thrilled....
 
                                                   Happy Birthday to Me!

The morning of my Birthday I got up early and had coffee with my folks and bid them farewell as they headed back to the mainland.

For dinner I secured a table outside on the deck at Silva Bay Marina and waited for the Boyfriend to arrive by float plane....so fun.... it never gets tired....



We had a wonderful meal, the weather was fantastic and I received the perfect gift.....


Gumboots!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment