Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Searching for Martha

Last night at work I was able, during quiet times, to read a bit about blogging in Tara Frey's book, Blogging for Bliss.  I have sooo much to learn!  So far the boyfriend has helped me to get this boat afloat, but there are so many things you can do and all of the sample blogs she shows in the book are most impressive.  I see a night class in the fall.  Digital photography maybe.

I know better than to beat myself up over this. I know most a lot of the women featured in the book are professionals and their blogs are an extension of their businesses.  They probably have a geek hidden under those exquisite dining tables!

The majority of bloggers featured in Tara's book are interior designers, and I was able to check out a few of the blogs featured. The pictures are beautiful and the furniture and detail of the rooms and gardens are enough to make one feel....a little inadequate.

So when I got home this morning I did the one thing that would make me feel better.
I curled up on the couch with a glass of wine and watched a recorded episode of Hoarders!  Suddenly, not emptying the dishwasher for two days doesn't seem so bad. I troddled off to bed feeling a bit more like Martha Stewart than crazy Mavis with the 50,000 dolls.

Got up at 2:30 pm to make tea...no tea bags. So I went for the beer fridge and sat in the sun for a while contemplating Martha. 
She did an episode once where I heard her say something like " What says springtime better than a beautiful carrot cake with a vegetable garden on top made from hand sculpted marzipan?"

I remember there tears of laughter rolling down my face! Are you kidding me?

She was not kidding and she proceeded to decorate an acre sized slab of carrot cake with cream cheese icing followed by a picket fence border made from rolled out and cut marzipan, followed again by rows of little hand sculpted cabbages dyed with food coloring, followed by bushels of perfect little carrots....and there may have been a cow on there too.





Ahhh!  I had to get that out......feel better!
I have to get ready for work.  No time for cake.

Sorry Martha.





2 comments:

  1. YOU CRACK ME UP!!
    I love this post, Carmpie! I live for my Martha Stewart Living mag. Some ideas are positively outrageous, but can usually be scaled down for Real Life.

    I definitely have a bit o' Martha and a bit o' Mavis in me, and y'know what? I wouldn't have it any other way, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! thanks Jessie! One day i'm gonna bake me that cake....and I agree the Martha/Mavis blend is the most fun.

    ReplyDelete