I am at my home away from home, 5+acres with a cozy house on Gabriola Island. I arrived Sunday evening and now that the sun has finally emerged after many drab and dreary months....well, there is work to do.
I have always been a big fan of the To-Do list. Somehow just writing things out makes me feel like I'm actually on top of things, organized... but things get busy and overwhelming sometimes and there were days when my beloved list became a big, bald, drill sergeant screaming orders at me and making me feel inadequate and wimpy. Not being one that takes orders well, I gradually tweaked the list to make it more fun and to give myself a fighting chance. I didn't think much of it until the boyfriend started reading my lists, which were left...everywhere, they seemed always to bring a smile, and that look that he gives me which says, "That's okay Carm, we'll try to keep you in the community as long as we can".
Today's List :
- Get Up
- Drink a hot cuppa tea while watching morning news
- Clean out and fill bird bath, fill up bird feeders, welcome birds
- Clean out and fill humming bird feeders, welcome hummers for summer
- Dress myself with the island version of the haz-mat suit; hat, sunglasses, boyfriend's denim shirt all buttoned
up, jeans, gumboots, gloves.
- Arm myself with weapons of mass destruction; machete, tractor mower with cart and a beer
- Wage War on the Giant Hog Weed that is growing behind the studio and slowly implanting itself in an ever
growing area by spreading it's demon seed!
It grows up to 8 feet tall and has seeds that can last un-sprouted forever! If you get it's sap on your skin and then go out in the sun it can cause severe blistering burns and cause blindness!!
It is not native to North America.
If there is a nuclear holocaust, there will be cockroaches, Justin Beeber and....yes the Giant Hog Weed.
It is the ENEMY!!!
Weapons of Mass Destruction.